Featured Image: Behr’s 2022 Color of the Year, Breezeway
Homeowners value wellness now more than ever before, and it’s important to have a space that reflects that. Does your home support optimal wellbeing from the inside out? 95% of U.S. adults say that caring for mental health is important to overall health. This year, let us help your family prioritize mental wellness within your home!
Mindfulness is about being present. It’s about being aware of your feelings and senses in the moment without feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Your home should serve as a place of peace for you and your family. Nothing is more exhausting than coming home to a stressful, cluttered environment after a long day of work. Mindfulness and wellbeing are much easier to achieve when your living space is designed to perpetuate a healthy lifestyle.
Empower your entire family to flourish in 2022! Create your custom home with mindful interior design aspects for a healthy lifestyle. There are four building blocks to designing luxury homes for wellness: sustainable materials, use of color, intentional amenities, and incorporating nature. Let’s walk through each one…
A healthy home starts with a healthy foundation! A sustainable home (or green home) is an environmentally friendly, low-impact home created with sustainable materials and technology that helps reduce its carbon footprint. Sustainable homes use less energy, water, and natural resources. They create less waste than a standard home.
Sustainable homes provide many health benefits as well! These homes often have better airflow, natural materials, and natural light. People with dust allergies can live more comfortably in a sustainable home. Improved heating, ventilation, insulation and air sealing reduce the risks and symptoms of respiratory disease, asthma, cancer, heart disease, depression, and more.
When you partner with Tom Len Custom Homes, you get to choose the materials used for your home renovations. Ask us about sustainably sourced materials and we’ll make sure to meet your needs!
The Power of Color
Color enhances a room’s energy. It can take a sterile, boring room and add life and wonder to it. Color can be used to express your personality or shift the mood in a room. Bold colors can be used to create a striking contrast, whereas pastels and light colors can create a soft ambiance.
Selecting colors for your home can be a difficult process, but we’re here to lead the way! The first thing to consider when choosing colors is the lighting of the room. Is the room making use of natural light or fluorescent lights? Which direction is the room facing with respect to the sun? Next, consider the energy you want in the room. Perhaps, you are choosing colors for your home office and you want it to feel serene. Keep the functionality of the room at the forefront of your mind when selecting colors.
One way to get inspired is to take a look at the trending colors for 2022. For this year, the most popular colors all contain shades of either green or blue. Periwinkle blue is making its rounds as a popular color choice this year. Of course, you don’t have to follow what everyone else is doing, but choosing trendy colors can also help increase the value of your home. When you work with Tom Len Custom Homes, you can trust that our expert interior designers are always current with the latest trends and can help you color match for optimal wellbeing!
Luxury Amenities for Wellness
Designing a home with wellness in mind means creating functional spaces that benefit your family’s overall physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. Whether it’s a cozy hidden room that’s perfect for reading your favorite novel, or a boutique home gym to serve as a healthy stress reliever – your home is your sanctuary. Design your custom home with luxury amenities to help your whole family stay centered, creative, and active. Here are a few ideas for achieving daily wellness in your custom home…
- Arts + Crafts Room: Spark your creativity by designating a room in your home for arts and crafts. You can set up an easel or a canvas for painting, or create a drawing station. Allow this room to be your safe haven for letting the creativity flow!
- Meditation Area: Mindfulness is a form of meditation. It’s a great idea to have a quiet, secluded space in your home dedicated to meditation. Burn some incense, play your favorite calming music, immerse yourself in a great book, or relax in your own unique way.
- Yoga + Pilates Studio: Yoga and Pilates are both fantastic stress relievers (and great workouts). Design your own studio to regularly release your tension with stretches, deep breathing, and private lessons from local instructors!
- Personal Gym: Studies show that exercise improves mental health by reducing anxiety, depression, and negative mood while improving self-esteem and cognitive function. Ditch the gym membership and have a custom gym built in your home. You can have a cardio focused area with treadmills and stationary bikes, or let off some steam with a punching bag and boxing gloves.
- Sauna + Steam: Speaking of steam, designing a private spa complete with your own steam shower and sauna is an excellent way to experience relaxation in your home. Plus, saunas and steaming have many health benefits including a reduction in the risk of vascular diseases, stroke, common flu and much more.
Immerse Yourself in Nature
Bring nature inside with an indoor conservatory that can serve as a personal greenhouse. Imagine a space where you can tend to your favorite plants, enjoy the great outdoors any time of the year, and take in the sunshine for a mental health boost! Not only do plants create a living energy in your rooms, they can also remove harmful chemicals from the air. Scientific studies have proven that houseplants are good for you – physically, emotionally, and psychologically.
Multiple studies have proven that indoor plants keep you healthier and happier, offering both psychological and physical health benefits that include:
- Improving your mood
- Reducing fatigue
- Lowering stress and anxiety
- Improving office performance and focus
- Boosting healing and pain tolerance
- Minimizing the occurrence of headaches by improving air quality
- Easing dry skin and respiratory ailments due to dry air
Bonus: The glow of natural light is an instant energy boost and mood enhancer! Every Midwesterner knows that daylight is vital during those long winter nights. Harness the sun’s energy and allow more natural light into your home. Did you know natural light can help regulate your circadian rhythm, increase your family’s overall wellbeing, and provide some much needed Vitamin D in the process? Talk to our team about incorporating lots of windows into your new home!
Tom Len and his team of design experts understand that every aspect of your home – from color to windows to materials to amenities and everything in between – makes a huge impact on your quality of life. The space we live in affects our wellbeing. If wellness is important to you, then it’s important to create a mindful home that makes a positive impact on your mood, energy, and health.
At Tom Len Custom Homes, it’s our goal to make sure you love your stunning home from the ground up, inside and out. Have you been shopping around for a home builder? The journey is over and you’ve arrived at the best residential construction destination! We’re proud to offer the talents of Chicagoland’s best interior designers and contractors to build and design the home of your dreams!
Have you always wanted your own sauna, home library, or yoga studio? Maybe you’ve been craving a home with more sunlight and a conservatory? Designing a luxury custom home gives you the freedom to create a unique living space that caters to all of your needs and desires!