The current housing market is stressful for many homebuyers. Existing homes are being sold way over asking price as they are becoming scarce. On the other hand, homebuyers aren’t finding their dream home that has everything on their wish list.
One of the best ways to circumvent this issue is to build your own custom home! Don’t settle for less than what you want. Intricate details, personalized accents, and functionality enhancements are what can truly turn a house into a home.
Are you struggling with the thought of parting from your beloved family home full of memories? Sometimes a modern renovation may do just the trick! Remodeling your current living space grants the opportunity to stay where you are while creating the perfect home you’ve always dreamed of! Have you been considering building an addition to accommodate your growing family? Turn your empty foyer into a useful mudroom. Transform your boring basement into a gorgeous game room with an entertainment center. The possibilities are endless!
In this blog, we’ll explore the many benefits of building a custom home. Then we will dive into the exciting custom home building process with Tom Len Custom Homes from start to finish…
Benefits of Custom Home Building with TLCH
“Your home should tell the story of who you are and what you love.”
– Nate Berkus, Interior Designer
Home is where the heart is. Home is where beautiful memories are made. It’s the place where our children grow into the people they will become, where our foundations are built. Let’s make sure your home serves as a safe space for the ones you love. When you work with TLCH to customize your home exactly as you’ve envisioned, your family will enjoy many benefits for years to come!
Here are a few reasons why new home builds and luxury remodels are the optimal choice…
- Personal Touch: Think of your custom home as a blank canvas waiting for you to fill it with unique and personal flair. When your home fits your personality, you’ll find that you’ll feel happier at home. Rather than just somebody else’s home that you now happen to live in, it’ll feel more like your very own space. Bring your favorite plants. Find crafty ways to display your favorite art pieces or family photos. Tom Len Custom Homes gives you the creative freedom to make it your own!
- Increased Functionality: You don’t have to settle for a semi-functional home that doesn’t fit your unique needs. When you build a custom home, it gives you the opportunity to maximize functionality to include all the amenities you find important. Do you love the extra kitchen space that comes with an isolated island? What about a Jack and Jill style bathroom for you and your partner? Maybe you’d like to design the ultimate luxury backyard for your family! A custom home gives you the ability to get the most out of your living space.
- Budget Flexibility: Contrary to popular belief, building a custom home does not have to be more expensive than buying an existing home. During the planning phase of custom home building, you get to set the limits of your budget and control the price point of every material used in the making of your home. Always plan on a few upgrades, typically 5-7% is average.
- Choose Quality Materials: Speaking of materials, a custom home build allows you to be intentional about the quality of the materials used to construct your home. Are you looking for the luxury allure of elegant, marble countertops? Perhaps you aim to reduce your carbon footprint by using sustainably sourced materials? Either way, you have the opportunity to do so by building with the professionals at Tom Len Custom Homes.
- Location, Location, Location: Buying an existing home restrains you to the location the house was built in. If you love where you’re at, consider luxury home renovations instead of moving. But, if you’re looking for a better place to live, building a custom home allows you to choose the lot that works best for you. Do you have kids and want to make sure it’s close to their schools? Do you enjoy peace and quiet and thus, desire to be far from a busy road? Consider your and your family’s needs when thinking of your new home location.
- Dreams Do Come True: At Tom Len Custom Homes, we work diligently to create the beautiful home you’ve always dreamed of. We can help you plan as many details as possible, making your living space as unique as you are. We’ll guide you every step of the way, from the foundation to the roof to ensure nothing is forgotten!
“Outstanding service, extremely knowledgeable. Went above and beyond in service.”
– Ibanga C.
Custom Home Building 101
Clients choose Tom Len Custom Homes time and time again because our team is professional, creative, attentive to every detail, and most importantly, trustworthy. Our goal is to align your custom home or renovation blueprints with your specific desires and expectations to deliver a positive experience and a breathtaking home you can be proud of. Let’s walk through our process…
- Meet and Greet: We initially meet with you to discuss your overall goals and expectations. We’ll begin by listening to your vision for your future luxury home. When you choose to work with Tom Len, you’re also partnering with a team of experts: Chicago’s top interior designers & experienced, trusted residential contractors.
- Evaluate Needs: Tell us exactly what you want and how you want it. We are extremely capable and ready to help you. Our services go beyond a typical home build firm as Tom Len also offers a full service real estate company.
- Set a Budget and Price Range: Do you need help financing or finding a property? Once we sit down and set your budget, we keep that at the forefront of every home building decision moving forward.
- Interviewing our Architects and Interior Designers: After setting the budget, an additional meeting happens between you and our team of expert architects, interior designers, and contractors to nail down the final details and cost structures.
- Timelines Set, Agreements Signed: The build should be completed within 8-12 months, depending on the size of the home. Our contracts are detailed enough to make the proposal clear beyond any question and handle issues before they become issues. The form you’ll sign will typically cover the following:
- Scope of work (including labor materials, equipment required, etc.)
- Permits and licenses
- Price and payment terms
- Changes in work orders
- The Building Process Begins: The fun part begins: construction! Our builders and architects begin making your dream a reality. Most of the work is completed using our in-house contractors. Sub-contractors are added to the mix when your project requires a more specific skill set. We lay all of the tile ourselves, hang the cabinets, and do all the trim painting.
“We can not speak highly enough about our experience with Tom Len Custom Homes. He and his crew are incredibly professional and clearly experts in their field. Everyone who works with Tom is in-house, so he is able to complete work in the projected time period. They are immediately responsive to every question and request. From the initial planning to the final construction, they guided us and walked us through every step. The final product is beautiful and exactly what we had hoped for. Working with Tom Len was a pleasure, and we highly recommend Tom Len Custom Homes for your next project.” – Sharon L.
Read more 5-star reviews on Houzz!
If you’ve been dreaming about every detail of your new home, don’t settle for buying an existing home that doesn’t check off all your boxes. Instead of adjusting your needs to fit what homes are available (not many), team up with TLCH to create the perfect luxury living space for you and your family.
Ready to turn your concept into a reality? As the North Shore’s premier custom home builder for 20+ years, Tom Len entrusts his name and reputation to every project! We are honored to make our clients’ dreams become a reality. BONUS: Any repairs needed for your home are covered 100% for the first year.