Building a custom home is a dream come true for many people. It’s an opportunity to create a living space that is tailored to your unique style and preferences. While there are many decisions to make during the process, we have a pro tip to share: don’t overlook the importance of adding molding and trim to your new home!
At TLCH, we truly believe the magic is in the details. If you’re building a custom home or planning luxury renovations, it’s easy to get lost in the bigger, more exciting aspects like designing the master bathroom, building an outdoor living space, or creating your dream finished basement. While these flashier elements are also important, the finer details are easily forgotten or overlooked when they can make all the difference…
Many of today’s modern, minimalistic homes have let go of some of the traditional opulence and charm. Who said it has to be one or the other? With the right custom home builder and interior design team on your side, you can have the best of both worlds: a modern, luxury living space that includes the traditional design elements you love!
That’s where the fine craftsmanship of decorative trim and molding go hand in hand. These stunning elements can elevate your home’s aesthetic and feel, adding an extra level of sophistication, glamor, and depth. Let’s dive in…
The Art of Decorative Trim & Molding with Tom Len
What is Decorative Trim?
Decorative trim or molding is a decorative framing used for walls, doors, windows, and more. The right trim and molding can make a house flow better, create gorgeous transitions, and add more character. But trims aren’t always used for aesthetics alone, they’re also practical considerations in construction and design.
Why Add Molding and Trim to Your Custom Home Design?
- Elegance: Moldings are decorative elements, making your house more magnificent and luxurious.
- Definition: They enhance the architecture of your home. Whatever the architectural style may be, trims and moldings can be used to add character and depth to your home.
- Concealment: The more practical purpose of the molding is to hide beams, joints, and imperfections. They help create a seamless and polished look that adds to the finesse of your custom home construction and design.
- Value: Trims add value to your house by making your property look more stylish and elegant. This gives you a higher resale value for your house, attracting more lucrative offers from potential buyers down the road.
Choosing the Best Molding & Trim for Your Custom Home
Versatile Custom Trim Applications
Molding is not just limited to the walls and baseboards. Here are a few more areas where you can add distinct, elegant trim:
- Fireplace mantels
- Crown molding
Various Types of Custom Molding to Consider
Not only can you use custom molding everywhere, but you can also mix and match styles to make creative designs! This will make every room look uniquely different while adding richness to your home. Here are some of our favorite molding styles:
- Crown Molding
- Chair Rail
- Panel molding
- Corbel molding
- Picture Rail molding
Popular Decorative Trim & Molding Styles for 2023
While molding never really goes “out of style”, here are some designs that are trending in 2023. Stay ahead of the curve by choosing one of these for your new home build or renovation project…
- Craftsman Trim: characterized by simple lines and flat panels, often made of natural wood.
- Colonial Trim: consists of intricate, symmetrical patterns with elaborate cornices and crown moldings.
- Victorian Trim: features bold, decorative moldings with ornate details such as scrolls and floral patterns.
- Contemporary Trim: characterized by clean lines, minimal ornamentation, and often painted in a contrasting color to the walls.
- Rustic Trim: made of natural wood with a distressed finish, often used in cabins or homes with a rustic aesthetic.
- Farmhouse Trim: features clean lines with a mix of modern and rustic elements, often painted in a neutral color palette.
Best Materials for Trim and Molding
Often viewed as just decorative features, molding and trim actually serve many practical purposes. Several materials can be used for trim and molding. The final choice depends on the kind of look you’re aiming for, their features, and purpose. Here are some commonly used materials that you can opt for:
- Solid Wood: This is a classic choice for trim and molding due to its durability and beauty. Hardwoods such as oak, maple, and cherry are popular choices. Solid wood can be stained or painted to match any decor.
- Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF): This engineered wood product is a cost-effective alternative to solid wood. It is made from wood fibers and resin, and is very stable and easy to work with. MDF can be painted to match any decor.
- Polyurethane: This synthetic material is a good choice for decorative molding because it is lightweight and easy to install. It is also resistant to moisture and insect damage. Polyurethane molding can be painted to match any decor.
- PVC: This plastic material is a good choice for trim and molding in areas with high humidity or moisture, such as bathrooms or kitchens. It is resistant to moisture and insect damage, and is easy to install. PVC trim can be painted to match any decor.
- Metal: Metal trim and molding can add a modern and industrial look to a custom home. Stainless steel, aluminum, and brass are popular choices. Metal trim can be polished or brushed to create different finishes.
Partner with Chicagoland’s Best Interior Designers at Tom Len Custom Homes
Tom Len Custom Homes is the North Shore’s premier custom home builder. We have 20+ years of expertise collaborating with clients on their dream home project. Allow our interior designers and residential construction team to ensure your home is built with not only quality materials, but unique and elegant style.
Whether you’re looking to renovate your existing living space or create a new build from the ground up, we’re your one-stop shop for all luxury home needs! With an eye for high quality materials, attention to detail, and meticulous craftsmanship that speaks for itself, TLCH promises the most unique, stunning designs.
Browse our portfolio of custom homes and renovation projects to see for yourself! If you’re looking to revamp an outdated home or create a new house from scratch, you’ve come to the right place. Let our team lead the way as you enjoy the exciting journey of building your dream home…
Ready to add a level of sophistication and elegance to your home?
Let’s work together to choose the best decorative trim and molding.
Contact the TLCH team to get started: (847) 205-9200